Sunday, November 27, 2011

First Times: Meeting Santa & first movie

Yesterday, we brought Carolina to meet Santa. Actually, we went to Macy's to look at the window display and then decided just to see if we could see Santa from the end of the line. Once we got there it was like Santa disneyland, and you can't see anything.

We got on line, and Carolina was fine and happy to be on line as there was initially a train and then "inside" the train, then a winter wonderland with a talking tree and singing frosties and penguins. Then off to meet Santa.

She was happy enough to sit next to Santa but didn't want to hold his hand or sit on his lap. This was WAY better than I had imagined and I'm glad we took her.

I guess those three times at Disney, having to wait on line for a ride, was really good training for this line at Macy's, which was only about 20-30 minutes long. (I won't go into details about how a very long line went so quickly on this blog, but if you ask I'll let you know.)

Then today, we took Carolina to her first movie at the movie theater to see The Muppets. It is playing at the local cinema about 7 blocks away, and an afternoon showing was at 3pm -- great timing since that's just after her nap. Since kids tickets are only $5, it was worth it to go there (in case of too much fidgeting or a lack of interest) and be close to home than to a larger theater where tickets for each of us would be $12 and a subway ride fare.

About halfway through she looked at me (sitting on my lap) and pointed to the theater door and said "Home!" I asked her what home, and she told me "Cah-leena home!" I realized she wanted to go home and was getting either bored or a little scared. Any time there was a slightly dramatic scene, she was a bit nervous that something bad was happening. I told her that Miss Piggy would be on screen again shortly, currently her favorite Muppet, and that got her to stay a bit longer. I had to keep cajoling her and she ended up staying through the whole thing.

All in all a LOT better than I anticipated, but I won't be taking her to the theater any time soon. Maybe after her 3rd birthday...

It was a lot of fidgeting to put up with, and I was prepared to leave at any point if we needed to, but she's very chatty and if the theater was more packed it would have been uncomfortable. She was the ONLY child in the theater, which was weird. And Ismael and I were the only adults laughing out loud. There were some pretty funny parts, so I was surprised at how quiet it was. And then I noticed a few couples making out, so looks like local theaters with cheap tickets are still the same as when I was in school.



1 comment:

  1. oo - so fun! we haven't taken Isaiah to a movie yet....and I do want to see the Muppets. hmmm

    ReplyDelete