Friday, January 4, 2013

First tooth!

Last night was a doozy. He was up, maybe 20 times, from when he went to bed at about 6.30pm until he got up this morning at 6.45am. Now, if you've been around us recently you know that sleeping until 6.30am is unheard of these days. He's been up at 5am for nearly 3 weeks. It's been rough. Last night he kept waking up crying out, like he was scared or in pain. He didn't want to nurse much and I thought at one point to try Orajel but I was honestly so completely exhausted that I didn't act on it.

We were running a bit late and I wanted to get back to the apartment early so he could take a nap, so I didn't even think to check his mouth. After bringing everyone to school and the bus, I put him down for a nap. It was another short one, and I figured after that tough night he'd have slept more. So I checked his mouth -- a little tooth had started to come through!

It's the bottom, front on his right side. The bottom, front on his left side is right there, too. I wouldn't be surprised if it broke through tomorrow or any day in the next few weeks.

If I remember correctly, this was around the time that Carolina got her first tooth, too. I'll have to check back to see when the second through fifth teeth came as I recall always being relieved a tooth broke through and then going through another cycle for the next one. And she didn't wake up this much, or I don't remember if she did. So if this is his M.O. then next time this happens, he's getting Tylenol and Orajel before midnight because mommy was so tired she didn't know where she was a few times.

Once I can get a photo of the little tooth, I'll post it.

In other news, Carolina has been back at school for three days and is MUCH happier than being at home all the time. She's even gone back to being more polite and whining and protesting less. I am certainly no Montessori teacher and there aren't any kids for her to play with in our apartment like at school.

She came home today with her name traced a few times, and it's really good. Over the holidays she started to write on her own, and has been naming the people and things she draws by just writing whatever letters she thinks of and then asks what the name is that she gave to it. It's pretty funny sometimes. Her tracing of letters during our holiday card bonanza really improved, and continues to at school. I'm fairly certain that they enforce her holding her pencil more correctly than I was.

Having my mom as a teacher always made me respect teachers, and just seeing what Carolina's teachers do with her, reinforces what I already knew -- good teachers are amazing. They're full of patience, clever ideas for different ages, and are so good as sussing out what a particular child will like and needs. Often doing this better than a parent...

Yesterday, she asked if we could go ice skating since she was reading a story in a magazine that had an illustration of a girl ice skating, so after I finish this post I'll be looking into where we can do that locally. I knew where they were in the city but I forget where in this part of NJ. Of course, she wants to use purple skates, but I think white rental skates will have to do.

Finally, her new favorite story (that we read at least twice daily) is: The Sleepy Little Alphabet. My mom gave her this book and two others for Christmas. This one is clearly the favorite as the illustrations have lots of little, fun details that she enjoys looking at and we talk about. She will even sit with it alone for 15-30 minutes while I put the baby down for a nap or to bed at night. The next new favorite is Oh, No!, then it's The Snowman, which I bought for her and didn't realize that they flew to Brighton in the story. I nearly cried when we turned the page and I saw the Brighton Pavilion (I miss it!). Then it's The Lonely Book. (These are all links to Amazon.com, and I don't get any money if you click on them.)

See? Having a mom who was a teacher means always getting age-appropriate books as gifts for your kids, and ones they LOVE.

Speaking of books, once I finish my 8" high pile of Financial Times weekend inserts, especially the How To Spend It magazines, then I can FINALLY start reading Murakami's 1Q84.

No comments:

Post a Comment