Monday, December 2, 2013

Reading, getting married, and toddler sleeping

So Carolina's reading continues! She just keeps spotting words she knows and words she sounds out herself. Reading the cereal box seems to be popular. 

She's also become concerned about going into the "number grades" and getting married. Lord knows why she's concerned about who she will marry, since I pointed out she can't marry her papa and her grandfathers are both not available. And cousins are out. This whole idea stresses her and I've no idea why. 

I probably shouldn't have told her she can't marry her papa but I wasn't certain if lying about this one wouldn't be worse. I don't know where the topic came from. And telling her that she doesn't have to worry about it until she's much older seems to make it worse. She wants to know now. So, yesterday, she decided on one of the boys in her class. I said that was fine. She has to wait until she is an adult, but he's a fine boy to pick. 

She's also very aware of graduating from kindergarten (in a year and a half), and the older children returning to help out. She knows she is not ready for "big kid work" but won't be put off my explanations of-- the teachers will tell you what you need to know when it's time. Today is just pre-k. You know how to do that. 

Still, she's anxious. I hope to help her figure it out so she's less worried. 

Lil' Mel now takes a nap without a bottle. He kept refusing it, so I just stopped offering it. He's nearly over his ear infection, and I know being very congested made him disinterested in drinking since he couldn't breathe. But he's taken interest, mostly, in the night bottle but not daytime. 

Fine by me! I was wondering how it would go since I got Carolina off the bottle by reading to her instead, before naps and nighttime. But I can't read to him since he doesn't sit still long enough for more than a sentence or two. Such a boy. He just wants to lay down with his chupon. Uh, ok. Easy peasy. 

And we still enjoy his way of saying "no". Kind of a cross between "no" and "now" with a bit of a cat's whine. It's very amusing. It also gets the job done. He is very clear about "no", and "yes", which is a slow up-and-down head move. Makes things easier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment