Friday, February 26, 2010

Ok, well I'm impressed. We missed a night waking. Hooray!

With Carolina not feeling quite herself this week, her sleep "schedule" is all off. So I've been following her lead by noting her tired signs and then making it naptime. Even if it was only an hour an a half ago when she woke up.

Last night she missed the 4am wakeup time she had re-started this week and went from 10.30pm until 2.30am and then straight through to 6am. 7am would have been better but I'm not in a position to complain about the nearly 4 hour stretch!

Earlier in the week, I had to let her cry for about 25-30 minutes when she refused to take an afternoon nap but was CLEARLY exhausted and desperate for a rest. After that, she slept for only 45 minutes but it must have been a learning experience.

I've done my best to leave her room when she's either mostly asleep, or this week, more interested in playing with me than sleeping. So I leave, she'll cry out as if to say "But I'm not ready! Come back!", and then gets quiet. She may talk to herself or Baby for a few minutes or many minutes, but it's just her and her crib. And then she falls asleep. Maybe for a quickie 45 minute nap or a monster 90-120 minute nap.

Either way, she knows I'm serious when I leave her and I don't get as stressed out that she's not falling asleep while I'm there. I let her figure it out on her own.

I'd still prefer that all the time she nod off while feeding and then fall asleep soundly once she hits the crib, like this morning's nap. But, again, I'm not in the position to negotiate for this. It's just a boon when it happens.

She's in there now, cooing and talking to Baby. Lord knows what they're talking about. Yesterday I imagined this scenario is what happened in Carolina's head:
Carolina to Baby: I'm not tired. Are you?
Baby: Yes.
C: Well, since you're tired I can show you how to take a nap. But I'm not tired.
B: Okay
C: So we close our eyes
C: Then we stop talking
C: And then we fall asleep
C: And then...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

But since she woke up from that nap super chatty again, but had done a super poop. The conversation was probably more like:
Carolina to Baby: My tummy hurts. Does yours?
Baby: No. But maybe you have to poop.
C: Probably. I should call mommy so she can make it better.
B: We can call her once the poop is out. She cleaned it up last time after you did it.
C: Oh, yeah. Okay, after.
C: I'm tired. This poop will have to wait until... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I don't know what's going on in there now, but there's clearly some debate about something.

No comments:

Post a Comment