Monday, March 1, 2010

big week last week: teeth and standing up

So about last Tuesday was when Carolina's 3rd tooth (top, front, left-side) broke through, and on Friday (drum roll, please) she climbed up her saucer/activity-jungle thing and let go... standing up, unassisted for about 4 seconds. She looked pleased as punch. Truly proud.

I had even started to lunge forward to catch her since I thought for sure she was going to go down on her butt, but I stopped short of touching her when I realized she was holding herself up on her own two legs! I was totally shocked. I could just say 'Wow!' and immediately got on the phone to her father to tell him.

She hasn't done it since but it's a sign of things to come.

Sleep has still been less than it was before this cold/teething from last week. So since the snot nose has started to let up, we're going to go back to having Ismael bring her a bottle when she first wakes up. She'll either take it, or learn to sleep until after midnight when I'll go in. The last two nights she started crying out at about 8/8.30 and then demanding someone come in at about 9.30pm

We tried orajel, pacifier, but not the bottle last night. We were confused and surprised she was waking up so early, again. She was absolutely hysterical by the time I went in, so I nursed her and she calmed down enough to relax a bit, but was still really edgy and couldn't fall asleep when I put her down. So I left her there and she cried, more like whimpered, for another few minutes. Then up again at about 1.30am, then 5am, then 5.45am, then 6.10am when Ismael found the strength to go in there to pick her up. No poop even!

Lord knows why she thought it was time to get up. We certainly didn't tell her it was :)

She did go to bed at about 5.30pm the night before, since she got up early, took two short-ish naps and didn't take a 3rd nap. So by 5pm she was just crying and clearly beyond exhausted. I could barely get her to cooperate to put on her pajamas.

I am very grateful for the 2 hour nap yesterday morning and the 1.5 hr one this morning. I wish there was more complete night sleeping, but we haven't won that lottery prize yet.

You know, I read somewhere last year that "pajamas" comes from a Hindu word that the English incorporated into their lexicon. It's loose fitting clothing, apparently, but the English mimicked it and wore it to bed. I should look that up again. Might be a useful or fun fact for geeky friends at a party. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment