Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Sleep, not sleep, sicknesses and bottles

The baby is now fully weened. He doesn't exactly realize that yesterday was his last night being nursed to sleep. I've been drinking sage tea, and surprisingly it's working. I was in much more pain and more full when I weened Carolina. I wish I had known about that tea then, it would have saved me 3 days of major discomfort. He's still looking for me to feed him sometimes, but he's adjusted to a bottle with formula better than I expected. I didn't expect much after the first few months of trying. He doesn't take more than 4oz a time, but whatever. It's progress.

Our plan, since he's not sick anymore, is to get him into Carolina's room this weekend. I have been putting him for his first nap, since Carolina is at school, in her room in the pack n' play. It gets him used to both sleeping in her room and the pack n' play. It's a bit hit or miss. He takes forever to stay down in his crib if he's not completely asleep. It's a bad habit, that I'm desperate to break.

He's started to only get up 2x a night BUT he can be up for an hour during that time. It is completely dark and quiet and still, he will be awake. Even if we hold him. He might just lay in our arms or try to get up, but either way, he's awake. If we put him in the crib to be by himself, he will usually do one of the following (for up to 30 minutes as that's the limit we can tolerate): cry, talk/play, call out Maaa-maa, or Pa-paa.

During this time, it is really cute to hear him call out our names regularly.

He seems to think it's his job to wake up at 11.30pm and 4am and get up at 5am. He might also believe that he gets bonus points for waking up sometime in between midnight and 4am. He also, clearly, thinks that he will "win the day" if he stays awake.

This morning is the first time I let him 'cry it out' for a nap. I waited the recommended 20 minutes and, literally, on the 20th minute he stopped crying. He is now in his sister's room in the pack and play and asleep, he did it himself! For the first time since he was only a few months old! God, I hope this is the first of many times he does it himself and hopefully without much crying. (I know this will eventually happen, it's just getting to that point.) If I know this kid, the next time I make him do this, he will resist more. He is pretty stubborn. But, one time is better than never!!

In the meantime, we're getting Carolina ready to welcome her brother into her room. She will help us re-organize where the furniture goes in her room. In fact, we are going to borrow my parent's blow-up bed in case she needs to sleep in our room while we work out what's going on at night with the baby.  JUST IN CASE she gets too tired from him being up and crying. She, cutely, insists she can sleep through it and wants to stay in the room with him, but I know with the way he's been the past month that she may not be able to do that.

Speaking of the past month, Carolina has REALLY enjoyed her ballet class.  She also seems to enjoy that it's just us going to her class, without her brother. The baby doesn't enjoy it as he cries endlessly the last 30 minutes he's with my mom, every week. The class is 45 minutes long and we are gone for just over an hour. My poor mom. She's still willing to do it every week. I have started to look for a baby sitter but I think it'll be worse. My husband disagrees. He wants the baby out of the bedroom and fully adjusted to a non-family babysitter RIGHT NOW. Ha. Yeah.


PS that nap lasted 30 minutes. and he was crying his eyes out.  short but not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment