Sunday, April 7, 2013

Much more talking and a trip to DC

We just got back from a trip to DC to see the cherry blossoms. There were only about 3 trees that were in bloom with flowers, the rest were still buds. None had pink flowers yet. It's been too cold for too long. Even yesterday morning when we went it was about 30 something. It was going up to 50 something, and there were tourists walking around in shorts and shirts in the morning. One girl was so cold in her little shirt and skirt that her goosebumps were clearly visible from a few feet away. She looked miserable. I was sorry we didn't have anything to give her to keep warm. Young and in love, she looked like she was going to just deal with it. :)

Anyway, the baby slept most of the time out since I  carried him. He was my heater. And Carolina had a LOVELY time with her cousin Marisa. She just loved going around with her and having an attentive audience for anything she wanted to say to Marisa. She did quite a lot of walking and some time in the stroller. It was a LOT of walking from the Metro to the Jefferson Memorial, back to the Air & Space Museum and then back to the Metro. Both our little people fell asleep in the car on the way back to Aunt Karen's house.

The baby has been talking more and more. Just last week he started to say "Pop Pop" or "Bop Bop" it's a sound somewhere in between. Sometimes he would say it at my dad, so maybe it's "Grandpop" he's trying. He's also saying "Nuh Nuh" which I think is sometimes just a sound, sometimes saying my "No no no" and sometimes trying to say "CaroliNA".

He very quickly figured out how to climb up the stairs in Karen's house. They are the first stairs he's been near. We have some in the building but we only use them to go between floors when we are doing laundry. Otherwise, he doesn't see stairs and never is on the ground near them. This morning at about 5.30am (yes, it was an early one) he crawled away from me and toward the stairs and took the first two very quickly while saying "Nuh, Nuh, Nuh, Nuh". I thought maybe he was repeating the "No no no" that I tell him when he's doing something I don't want him to do, especially since he stopped at the second stair and looked back at me with a mildly naughty smile. Then later I was thinking maybe he was trying to tell me "Carolina" since she was still sleeping upstairs.  Whatever it was, he's becoming very chatty.

Friday night he was very tired. His naps were all over the place while we were traveling. He actually napped more while we were in the car; I think it soothes him into a slumber even if he's not very tired. Well he had slept some on the way back from the B&O Railroad Museum but not enough for a real nap, maybe about 20 minutes. But then he woke up as soon as we got to Karen's house and couldn't go back to take a nap. I put him down for the night at about 5.30pm. I didn't get a lot of support for that idea but I could tell he was DONE, and trying to keep him up any longer was just cruel. He slept, without waking up, until 5.30am the next morning! No bottle in the middle of the night, nothing. Hooray! Well, 5.30am is still too early to get up, but that was a nice stretch of quiet and sleep.

Now that we're back home, we're still keeping Carolina in our room until we know he can sleep until 6am, even if he gets up for one bottle at night. If he can't, then he's going to learn that I won't go get him until 6am. Cry all he wants. It's a tiring habit of super early rising, and one that Carolina shouldn't have to deal with since she goes to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment