Friday, May 1, 2009

contractions and expansions

Last night was the first time I've experienced any pre-labor contractions. Or at least I think I did. It very nearly stopped me in my tracks, was about 10-15 seconds long and happened about 3-4 times over the course of 2 hours. So nothing to worry about. I've been 'leaky' too as of this past Tuesday, but again, not enough to be concerned about or know labor is really coming. This morning, while working from home and on a conference call, my lower back really hurt for about 20-30 seconds. I'm glad I'm going to my holistic spine guy today. 

My pimples are definitely coming back and my hair is definitely falling out like it used to. And this baby is DEFINITELY bigger. She stretches and 'dances' and ocassionally bangs around (her dad says she's like a basketball in there sometimes). And when she stretches, she now reaches farther apart in there as well as pushes further out. 

My next appointment is next Friday, so a week from today. I wish there was another ultrasound so I could see her again.

We've pretty much decided on a name for her. I think it'll suit her.

I get nearly 3-4 hours of sleep before I'm awoken to go to the bathroom or I'm hungry. She usually helps to wake me up by kicking me when we're hungry. My pattern has become go to bed between 9-11pm, get up around 3pm, then 4.30 or 5, then either sleep through until 7 or wake up every 40-50 minutes. 

I'm nervous about labor, which I'm sure will make it feel worse because of my apprehension about dealing with the pain. I used to be good at dealing with pain but it seems that either the hormones in my body or the extra blood going through to support this baby makes me feel more sensitive to pain. I'm mostly confident I can do this, but funnily enough, more relieved in the fact that I don't get a choice. It's going to happen, and when it does, I'll be in the moment dealing with it. I don't get to plan this.  And for a "planner", I find this a relief. 

My father looked at me this past weekend and said "I think she's going to be early." Well, since I'm just 34 weeks pregnant now, that makes me a bit nervous. I don't want her to come out until she's done 'cooking'. But he has a sense about these things. Then I start to wonder if by just saying that, I've started to have any control over what's going on, hence the mini contractions. Maybe not.

I'd really love to be able to sleep more. I know I'm not supposed to lie on my back, so i lie on my sides, which I've pretty much always slept on my side. But now I find that one side or both goes numb or sore. Mostly sore. It's exhausting being tired. I can't even imagine what it'll be like when she's finally here.


No comments:

Post a Comment