Monday, August 10, 2009

nearly slept through a visit from our cousins

Yesterday we were given a much-needed massage as a gift from Jee. While my parents watched Carolina, Ismael and I were relaxing. It was the day after we went to Central Park for Ismael's surprise birthday afternoon.

She didn't sleep much on Saturday and apparently not much more on Sunday. Both nights were pretty typical. Getting up every 2 hours or so. But she'd wake up early, like 4 or 5am. And didn't particularly nap much. Not even when grandma and grandpa babysat on Sunday.

BUT THIS MORNING!!! After daddy left at about 8.45am, she was yawning a lot so I put her on the bed next to me after swaddling her and she wouldn't stop squirming but she was clearly tired. So I unswaddled her arms and put her on her belly, about 10 seconds later, BOOM asleep. I watched her to make sure her head was to the side enough and she was breathing and at some point I also fell asleep.

She started to squirm about 3 HOURS LATER!!! And then 5 minutes later the door bell rang.

We slept through my cousin calling a bunch of times that morning. He and his wife and two children were planning to stop by on their way back to Maryland, and they did. We had confirmed their visit on Friday and I nearly slept through it!

So quickly woke up, fed my kid and changed her diaper and we had a really nice visit.

Carolina met her cousins Rose and Sam, and after they left we went out for a walk in the Baby Ergo around the neighborhood. It's 95 degrees today and still Carolina loved being outside. She basically slept the hour we were walking around. I even had to go into a local supermarket to look around just to enjoy some air conditioning break from the heat and humidity.

The nice, Chinese lady from the laundromat on the corner came out and 'yelled' at me that it was too hot and sunny for the baby. I told her she was right. I should have brought an umbrella to keep the sun off her and really shouldn't have brought her outside. She was right.

As soon as we got back to the building, and I used my key to get into the front door her eyes shot open but she remained quiet. We walk down the hall and up the stairs, the two apartment door locks are opened and she starts to squirm and make noises. I put her down out of the carrier and she wasn't happy.

So I washed off her face to cool her down a little and then started to feed her in front of the A/C in the living room before she could get too fussy. She stayed pretty calm the rest of the afternoon. And I gave her an early bath at just before 5pm to help keep her relaxed.

Didn't nap after the walk outside, but was mostly pleasant. Just got fussy a handful of times and just went to sleep (I'm hoping for the night) about 5 minutes ago.

As soon as I can get a crib and mattress that is more firm than the pack n' play, she's totally going to be sleeping on her belly.

Three hours this morning! Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment