Saturday, February 16, 2013

Colds, ear infection, crawling, cruising, talking -- we got it all

On the flight home, I knew I was sick. Then Carolina got my cold. And did the baby, too. Then Carolina got better and the baby worse. Then he got an ear infection. Now he's got antibiotics and can (finally) breathe again. It's been about 3 weeks since he slept well. And so that means the same for me.

At least he's not getting up and staying up for an hour or so. But he's getting up every 2-3 hours. And still thinks there's an obligatory wake up check at 4 and 5am. I'm letting it go until he's done with the antibiotics since, really, it's only been 2 days that he can breathe while sleeping without a disturbing amount of mucus interrupting him.

I do, however, feel like I'm losing the thread that's keeping me sane. So tired.

My kids are very good, mostly. It's just tough being inside all the time and not getting any real rest.

I took the baby for his 9 month checkup (that's when we found out it was an ear infection since a few days before his ears were still clear but looking like it could go either way and his nose was the problem.)

He is, otherwise, growing and developing nicely. 19 pounds even and 28" long. He's about bottom 30-35% for both height and weight and hitting his milestones for development. He's really charming, too. And he's going to be waving and clapping soon.

Carolina has been a good big sister. She thinks she can carry him around and keeps moving him. Even though I tell her not to. Once he can walk (please not too soon!) he's going to be giving her a run for her money. He's a super fast crawler, just like Carolina was, and getting around (standing up, sitting down, and "cruising" between places) very efficiently.

And his sister likes to feed him with a spoon and helps me by being a little parent and telling him, sweetly, "no no" if he's about to go somewhere he shouldn't. She's also aggressively pushing and moving him around to "help mommy" but, you know, she means well.

There was a Teddy Bear party and a Valentine's party at school, both made Carolina very happy. She's now willing to eat pizza. It had to be "Mrs. Karim Pizza" (her teacher) but she does like it. She gets upset when she can't stay at school to eat some with the other kids. So her teacher lets her take a slice home. Very kind.

I know she's ready for a full day, and I know she can survive well with an hour nap. I'm not sure if she'd sleep at school, though. But more to the point, we don't have the money for a full day. Maybe next year. I know it is good for her social development and her teachers would like to see her there. It's just an extra $400/month. I know it's worth it, we just don't have it. I am glad they are so loving and supportive at her school. She's learning so much. She can read a little and can write very nicely. She's much more confident, too. I'm grateful for her happiness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment