Friday, July 24, 2009

I think about Hawaii most days

And so when I saw this photo on flickr, while having Carolina on my lap happily sucking her pacifier, I wanted to share the image. http://www.flickr.com/photos/codya/2460185655

I've never surfed and was too embarrased (really, stupid me) to try it while in Maui. And yet I've been an admirer of surfing since I was about 12. The only reason I can think of is that I really liked my mom's wooden boat miniature from her trip to Honoulu in 1969 and just stared to look at photos. I've always loved photos of surfing, palm trees and the ocean.

I was telling Carolina a story this morning about travel. We didn't get to talk about Maui yet but I told her how even if we don't have a lot of things or live in the best neighborhood we will always "go to far away places." I explained that some far away places have people, trees, cars and buildings that are different. And some far away places look like here. But just going to the far away place makes it different because it's not "here". She promptly fell asleep. Either placated by my explanation of near and far and travel or bored by it. Either way she slept for about 40 minutes.

We watched the Happiest Baby on the Block DVD yesterday. Effing brilliant. Should be called How to get Your Fussy Infant to Turn Off the Crying in 2 Minutes or Less. She slept in two hour intervals. Woke to eat, quick burp and diaper change and then right back to sleep. No crying. No fussing. Not making mommy and daddy think she has reflux or require mylicon a bunch of times. None of that. Just sleep. Might not seem like much but to us it was wonderful. Gives me real hope for longer sleep during the night and a more expected schedule. I'd love to be able to go into the city to have lunch with friends and bring her by knowing when she will be up or sleeping.

Slowly we are scrapping our way to being knowledgeable parents. More know and less guess. Or more to the point, more to guess with and less desperate confusion or frustration. I've been told I am "scrappy" I suppose it's true.

God bless Aunt Julia for the suggestion. And Amazon for developing an iPhone app so I could buy it one handed in less than two minutes.

Next week we will start to try using the gDiapers that Aunt Jee gave us. She is now 9lb 7oz and chunky enough to give them a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment