Monday, July 27, 2009

she sleeps but not quite what i had hoped

Taking her out for a quick brunch in the neighborhood with Jee on Saturday proved to be our undoing in terms of her napping. Maybe it wasn't the fun afternoon outside for 2 hours, but she didn't nap well after that and was up every 1.5-2 hours that night.

Same thing yesterday, too. After we get her to go to sleep about 6 or 7pm, she will sleep for 3-4 hours straight (4.5 hours straight on Friday night) and then up every 1.5-2 hours after that.

She'll do a 7.30am-ish nap after she gets up at 6am, but then after that it's a struggle. Even if she's very tired.

She does the get-up-at-6-am very well. It's the only thing we've actually set a schedule for her from day one. I'm wondering if we had been able to schedule more other milestones had this not been easier. I'm now starting to do my best to figure out set milestones so I can get some sleep.

So 6am up, and I'm working hard on 6pm down.

Everything in between those hours is a crap shoot. And I'm having a heck of a time finding that position that I found the first day that calms her down. The one from Happiest Baby on the Block. I know it exists, I found it once or twice. But it's hard to. And it's murder on my lower back once I do find it. I'm certain there's a better way to hold her and still get that position. I just don't know what it is yet. Still working on it.

At least I know better than to take her on to the subway after 5pm. God, that was so dumb!

She's crying again, now, and won't fall asleep. But she has 'tired cry' and yawns. The hiccups woke her up a moment after she settled down about 30 minutes ago. I'm wondering how long I can not run into the bedroom to pick her up. She's very cute. It's hard to resist.

Sometimes I miss her when she sleeps for longer than 3 hours. That's only when I'm awake, mind you. If I'm also sleeping, I don't miss seeing her. I'm just grateful we're all sleeping.

Am I expecting too much from a 8 week old?

Still crying on and off, and sounds so very very tired. It's been 4 minutes. If she'd only just let herself fall asleep. If only I could figure out what it is that's keeping her up. Shit this is hard :)



10 MINTUES LATER:
She's totally asleep. I went in when the crying got really intense. She calmed down a little when I held her but still kept up the crying. So I swaddled her tightly (like the DVD said) and tried to find the calming-reflex position. Still not much luck. So I remembered the night she slept for 4.5 hours we played her one of the DVD's "womb sounds". I put it on, a little less fussing. I made it louder, bingo! Inside of a few seconds she was more relaxed, and now I just put her down. I hope she sleeps.

The womb sounds aren't calming to me but if it works for her, then I don't care.

Our room gets quite warm during the day and having her sleep in the living room where the A/C is gets really awkward since I can't do anything and I just don't like having her sleep in front of 9-foot-tall. It's just weird to me. So I'm off to find the smallest A/C unit I can to get for our room. Poor thing was all sweaty yesterday after a semi-nap and I'm sure it was only semi since she was too hot. I could be wrong, but she was too hot either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment