Friday, June 26, 2009

In the brief quiet moments

I often find myself, well my mind, momentarily going elsewhere. Sometimes when she is quiet and often when she is screaming and I haven't quite figured out what she is telling me. Most recently I've thought of the East Village, Chelsea, Naples and Oakland CA. She's had three good poop diapers today and napped this morning from 7.00am until about 9.45am. At which time she awoke screaming (of hunger) and my friend Sang had to let himself out while I fed her.

I'm letting her sleep on my lap right now since the last three attempts at a nap Since 10am have resulted in less than an hour nap a piece. I should be sleeping too but everytimf I close my eyes I see some nightmare-ish image of my daughter which jolts ne awake. I've got the I'm tired headache. I'd love a massage and an ice cream sundae. Why aren't there any ice cream shops or trucks around here? And Mr Frostee doesn't count.

Moments like these I wish we still lived in Manhattan. At least there I know where things are, menupages is useful, and there are ice cream trucks -- like the Van Leuween one -- that serves really good ice cream with lovely fresh whipped cream and hot fudge.

It's what I think of when it's hot outside and I have a kid around. I think of the ice cream places my parents took us to. Sitting at the counter or in a booth seat. Lots of flavors and toppings to choose from. Back when I was lactose intollerant but no one knew. And I could still eat nuts. I really hope my kid can enjoy these things. I'll feel so badly if she needs pills for dairy and can't eat nuts, too.

My mission over the next week is to get her in the sling I bought without screaming her head off. It'll be a lot easier than the car seat stroller. At least for me to get around locally with her. I must be doing the sling thing wrong. Or she just hates it. I'm hopeful and going for the I'm doing it wrong since if she hates it like she hates water or her liquid vitamins, we will never get to use the Peanut Shell sling.

I think she's about to be too big for newborn diapers even though they are supposed to be good for up to 10lbs and she's still less than 8. Or maybe I'm putting them on wrong. She gets red marks on her thighs from them. Maybe her baby fat is just getting in the way :)

I really wanted to take her on the train today to have hamburgers for lunch with her dad. But there's no way I'm getting up the stairs at the station and then again connection to the B/D and then get out at Rockefeller. I'll pass out before I have to go back home. That bloody bulky stroller and I'm not sure I can walk that far yet.

And I still haven't had to change her diaper outside of our apartment. THAT will be interesting once we start going in to Manhattan. I now understand why I've seen (v rarely) parents of older babies change diapers on the subway. Sometimes, I guess, it just needs to be done. I should get one of those travel changer mat things. That'll probably help.

Now I know I don't need these things but I really want this Kate Spade bag (over priced diaper bag perhaps?) http://www.katespade.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3491724&siteID=BolFSqx4S4U-f_Fj.BB5WRmURCgcndyrlg
and this (doesn't match at all, I know) Trina Turk hat that supports the High Line http://racked.com/archives/2009/06/12/meatpacking_designers.php

I know I won't buy these and will get diapers instead. But ya gotta dream :)

No comments:

Post a Comment